Campbell, Henry (‘Horse’) (1774–1846)
Clergyman. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (BA 1792). A university friend of Southey’s, they did not keep in touch in later life. Their last meeting was at Falmouth in 1801, when Campbell was on his way to take up the living of St John’s in Antigua. Campbell was the illegitimate son of Henry Temple, 2nd Viscount Palmerston (1739–1802) and swiftly returned from Antigua to England when he received a considerable legacy at his father’s death. Southey was later dismayed to find that Campbell had become an evangelical and fallen out with the Church authorities. He served as curate of Bicton in Shropshire, Minister of the Chapel at Nailsworth, Gloucestershire and, finally, Minister of St John’s Chapel, Uxbridge.